Thai Fried Sweet Potato Balls
- Sweet potato, peeled, steamed and then mashed 500 g.
- Tapioca flour 1 and ¾cups.
- All-purpose flour 1 and ½ tsp.
- Baking powder 1 and ½ tsp.
- Sugar ¾ cup.
- Sea Salt ½ tsp.
- Coconut milk 2 Tbsp.
- Ca(OH)2 or lime water 2 Tbsp.
- Bamboo charcoal powder 1 Tbsp.
- White and Black sesame seeds 1 Tbsp.
- Healthy Chef® soybean oil 1.5 L
- Steam the sweet potato for 15-20 minutes, until tender. Once cooled, mash the sweet potato with Tapioca flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, sea salt for a few minutes.
- Then pour coconut milk and Ca(OH)2 or lime water, continue mashing for 10 minutes with your hands to attain a soft and smooth.
- Divide the half of sweet potato flour as 2 batches, put black sesame seed into the first batch, mash for 2 minutes with your hands and leave for 30 minutes.
- Put bamboo charcoal powder into the second batch, mash for 2 minutes with your hands and leave for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 portions and roll into a 1.5-inch thick log shape. Cut into 1-inch size pieces and roll into a ball.
- Heat the Healthy Chef® soybean oil in a deep pot over low heat and add in a few sweet potato balls.
- Stir them with a spatula constantly so they’ll cook evenly.
- Press the balls down in the oil with your spatula or wide strainer when they start to turn golden brown.
- Repeat the motion until they are golden brown. The cooking process should take about 8 – 10 mins per batch.
- Keep the sweet potato balls warm and serve.